Destinatus Private School will put measures in place and be prepared to manage possible water outages (rationing) so that learning and teaching can continue without much destabilisation. We commit ourselves in assisting the WCED and the Provincial Government to manage the water crisis in the province.
Destinatus Private School will:
- Communicate with and include parents and the school community in our water management strategies.
- Encourage all learners, staff and parents to become water champions in their classrooms and in the broader school community.
- Use teaching time, assemblies, staff meetings, BDG meetings and other parent meetings to sensitise everybody in the role they have to play to protect our water resources.
- Use water responsibly and encourage everybody associated with the school to understand the urgency of the situation and respect the restrictive plans put in place to avoid Day Zero.
- Will use water from the borehole stored in a tank as far as possible.
- Will not use drinking water to water plants or sport fields.
- Will warn all relevant parties if water supply have to be cut for certain hours of the day, if it becomes necessary.
- Attend to leaking taps/pipes immediately.
- Use hand sanitizer, supplied by parents, will be used instead of soap and water. A big container of hand sanitizer will be available in class.
- Will manage Grade R to Gr 3 to go to the toilet per class and flushing of the toilet will be managed by the class teachers.
- Will encourage Grade 4-7 and learners going on their own, to use the “Waterman” system where the toilet will be flushed by every fourth user or when necessary.
- Will issue each teacher with a bottle of Albex No Flush or a similar product to use for her learners when using the toilet.
- Will see to it that water meters will be read and recorded once a day by the Secretary and Cleaner.
- Campus 1 – Mariëtte and Sisanda or Titanda
- Campus 2 – Amanda and Jaqueline or Letwin or Jenny
- The tool provided by WCED will be used to develop our own spreadsheets.
- The water readings will be communicated to all in the school in an effort to continue to reduce daily water consumption. The records will be available to Circuit Managers when visiting the schools.
- Suspend tournaments for sports where fields have to be irrigated and other activities attracting extra crowds of people if necessary.
- Suspend swimming pool activities.
- Encourage staff and parents to send personal hand sanitizer to school.
- Encourage staff and parents to send eco-friendly wet wipes to school.
- Class teacher will manage the use of water carefully.
- Encourage staff and learners to bring 1 litre per person fresh drinking water to school daily.
- Encourage staff and learners to bring 5 litres of clean water per person to school marked with the learners’ name to be refilled by staff and parents when used. This will also be used when unexpected total cut off of water supplies occur.
- Use treated dam water at Campus 1 and treated borehole water, rich in iron, at Campus 2 in toilets.
- Store a few 25 litre containers with water on the school premises for use when necessary as preparation for emergency use.
Director and Principal and Staff of Destinatus Private School
30 January 2018